05 August 2007

Exposure visit to New Delhi

In the end of July I and half of the executive committee of Huron went to New Delhi on an exposure visit. In Delhi we had arranged to meet with Indian Human Rights organisations to learn from them, exchange ideas and experiences, to build a network with like minded organisations, and to get new ideas on what to do and how to do it. We went to several oranisations, the first of them the Indian National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) who stronly urged us to push for the recreation of the Nepal NHRC. The Nepal NHRC has not been allowed to work the last couple of year since they it was not regarded to be as independent from the goverment/king as a National Human Rights Commission is supposed to be. A new commissioner has resentely been apointed but the commission has not started working yet.

Arriving in Delhi none of us knew the address to the guest house were we had planned to stay, and we had to start with finding an hotel why we ended up in the main bazar with the back pakkers. Realising that it takes at least an hour to drive anywhere we hired a car and driver to get us to our appointements. Luckily I had arranged only two meetings a day, with several hours in between which gave us almost enough time. Even after a year in Nepal getting used to everyone arriving late and nothing starting on time, I still wanted to arrive on time to our appiontments and I hurried my colleagues all the time, at times even making them skip their compulsery snacks.

Apart from the NHRC, we went to several NGOs, among others SAHR, South Asians for Human Rights. The chairman of this organisation is the former Prime Minister of India, and after some misunderstandings regarding when our appoinment was, we visited him in his residence. We left all the organisations with lots of notes and ideas as well as many new books for our mini library.

The members of Huron's executive committee are mostly men in their forties, taking care of me as if I'm their daughter. The first night in Delhi I went to the bazar on my own to use the Internet, only to find my colleagues looking for me being worried. "This is not Nepal, it is more dangerous here and you have to let us know where you are"... I had, but Nepalis are sometimes not that good at passing the message on. I had to leave earlier for Nepalgunj as I did not have time to visit Taj Mahal on the way home. After a lot of convincing I was allowed to travel alone, they first wanted to send someone with me. However, they did not let me take the night train as we did coming since that meant having to change to the bus on my own. In stead they put me on a direct bus, all of them coming with me to the bus park and putting me on the bus. "This is your seat, we have put your luggage hear. Your stopping to eat dinner after a couple of hours and remember not to take any food from strangers!" They did not need to worry, my two bus drivers (since it was a 16 hours over night bus I was happy they were driving and sleeping in shifts), took good care of me giving me a pillow, providing food and tea and letting me know when we stopped long enough to go to the toilet. I made it home safely, and left for Kathmandu and then Sweden the next day. At the time of writing I'm at home, having just been swimming in the lake before enjoying a dinner of freshly picked chantarells!!