10 September 2007

A hole in the floor

In my new apartment, I have an Asian toilet, i.e. a hole in the floor. This confuses many people, how does it work, what does it look like, and is it a water toilet? It is a water toilet, basically what it is, is a toilet that has been lowered into the floor instead of having a seat. However, it is an actual toilet with room to put your feet on each side. And, it flushes just as a normal toilet.

Maybe it is a strange thing to put a picture on a toilet on your blog, but I hope this will clear up some confusion for some of you. This is what an Asian toilet looks like, if it is in a home of an expatriate at least. In an Asian home there would never be any toilet paper next to it, and most probably no plants. However, there would be some plastic flip flops because usually the flushing breaks down and the toilet is flushed by pouring water in it, or all over it. And, it is, I would say, also much cleaner than a toilet in a Nepali home.

Anyway, this is what it looks like; it is not an old fashioned outhouse as many see before them when I say I have a hole in the floor. The only thing you cannot do on this that you can do on a normal toilet is to sit on it, and I wouldn't recommend reading while on the toilet...