13 July 2007

Parties in the expat community

Living a life as an expatriate, moving around between missions, is sometimes hard and we are lucky to have each other! Since I arrived, the number of foreigners in Nepagunj have increased from about 15 to around 80. Thus there is always something going on, such as bbq's, football or volleyball, and parties. Unfortunately, many of the parties are farewell parties (the UN staff is moved around a lot), however we do have fun! Sometimes it feels like this is the main part here, the social part of life rather than the work we do.








One of the last parties we had we were asked to wear something from our home countries. I did not have anything, so I made a skirt looking like our flag. Looks quite nice actually... And for a while I was wearing the traditional (male) Nepali hat, and for a while the Jordan scarf (becoming the photo model of the night...)
And, as I said, we have a lot of farewells. To the left below we are saying goodbye to Yael (France), here being lifted up jointly by Denmark, Norway and Sweden, and to the right, to our Brazilian friend Paulo. Even though both of the parties happened to be at my home, we are not at the same place since I have moved in to a new house. Now I am living together with three fantastic friends, one of them Tasha, you see to in the picture to the right. Me and Tasha are the happy new comers to the house joining Steve and Costanza who'se been in the house a while, pictures will come soon on all of them.